Thursday 26 April 2012

Sisterhood of the travelling thoughts...

Its a Thursday night on the eve of a long weekend and I'm sitting at my desk at work.  I just got off the phone with my Bestie who in this last week has been working 18 hour days away from home and her kids to open up another one of her string of very successful stores whilst still juggling her other business. Another friend is busy writing a paper that she's presenting at a scientific conference on the weekend whilst marking a multitude of papers; another is leaving for the US in the morning to consult on a project, after having organised her life, her son and her husband for the week she is away; another is busy studying for exams whilst busy with her PhD and juggling project work and writing a proposal; another is a mother who is busy with a combination of dinner, friends, pets, children and a kiddies party tomorrow ... having come home after a long day at work...and the list goes on and on which includes you and and all the women you know...

All these busy, successful, hard working, amazing women got me thinking, about how us as women in our multiple roles stay inspired and motivated to keep doing what we do, how we manage to stay in the game with smiles on our faces and hands ready to catch whatever is thrown at us.  Whether its snot, projectile vomit, a budget, a proposal, an extra meeting, a friend in need, a sick parent, a stinky nappy....we are always there.  But what makes YOU tick?  I will tell you what makes me tick.  Its this.  Its knowing that I have a sisterhood of women that are pretty much, in whatever shape or form, probably going through, or have gone through or will go through what I'm going through right now.  I think apart from everything else that physiologically identifies me with another woman (size of hips apart!), this is what often keeps me going when times are tough. Do you ever have those light bulb moments, when in a flash, you suddenly have that moment of clarity and you feel like you are on top of the world and just "get it".  I live for those moments and I just had one whilst sitting here (hold the phone!!).  My light bulb moment tonight was the idea of sisterhood and how sharing thoughts and ideas amongst people that understand can make you stronger, keep you motivated, positive and a part of something so special its hard to even define. 

Men just don't get it, and no disrespect.  Peace out to you guys (and if you are still reading my blog after the last 2 paragraphs, BIG UP!).  I think I can safely say that men really are from Mars and women from Venus.  Part of this sisterhood is our ability, and yes I call it an ability, to vent...to be the ventee and ventor (yes, I just made that up...deal with it!).  Now what men don't understand is that a true vent is probably one of the most satisfying things you can do.  And no (if you are still reading, martian man) I am not talking about an air vent, I am talking about those let it all out moments when you don't necessarily know how or want to fix what you need to talk about, but you just wanna let it all out.  And boy do we know how to let it all out....there is nothing, and I mean nothing, like a good vent.  Cup of coffee or wine in hand, whether its with a friend or friends, it doesn't matter. After the vent, with your friend sympathising how bad your job is, and how unfair your husband is, or how bratty your children are, you know what the best thing is?  The unwavering support.  The "I will be there for you if all this does go to pot" the "I understand" and the sharing of thoughts and ideas about how to view something or think about something.  I thinks its just as important to be the ventor...being able to listen and sympathise and share thoughts and have someone really hear what you are saying.  I always come away from these interactions with friends feeling good, sorted in my head, a more balanced view of looking at whatever was bothering me, or a feeling that I was able to offer support to someone that needed to talk.  And therein lies the beauty of our sisterhood, and therein lies part of what makes us able to do what we do. 

I think something else that makes us special is a joint pride in women that are successful. I'm not saying we are not competitive, because we are, but I feel inspired by women who are truly "doing it for themselves".  I take such intense pride in seeing women working hard to get healthy, women being amazing mothers and career-women and all the while sharing thoughts, ideas, support, care....basically bits of themselves that they don't want back.

So I leave you with this thought.  Go out and conquer.  Because you can.  And if you don't manage this time, you know a girls' got your back.  So feel inspired, beautiful and special and make your friends feel it too.  Its the beauty of this blog.  These thoughts travel.

With all that said...

Always yours in love handles (slowly diminishing...but more on that next week!) :)

xx








2 comments:

  1. You certainly are an inspiration to women of all ages....thanks for those wonderful thoughts..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is an honour to be part of your sisterhood .. a true inspiration .. yours in love handles ;)

    ReplyDelete